A weeks ago I spotted a /r/boardgames/ post about a foamcore minimalist organizer for the fantastic tabletop game called Splendor. I thought this was pretty awesome and was inspired to create a 3D printable variant of this design since I’m lazy and cutting/gluing foamcore sounds like work (but CAD design apparently isn’t? ::boggle::). I’m quite happy with the result, as the new box is much more compact and portable!
One thing that is not pictured is that I’m using a small box band to keep the lid in place.
A few design notes:
- The dimensions of the bottom part are 145mm x 100mm x 54mm, the dimensions of the cutout inside the cover are 146.5mm x 101.5 x 54mm. I found that a 0.75mm clearance between the bottom part and top part allowed the top part to slide on and off easily while not binding when removing the top.
- The Splendor logo in the top cover was added by downloading the Splendor logo, converting it to a binary image and then using the Shapeways 2D to 3D print tool: https://www.shapeways.com/creator/2dto3d
I also made a few changes from the foamcore model that /u/thirdspaced/ posted:
- cut out finger holes above and below the noble tiles to make them easier to handle
- reduced the size of the box to close to as small as everything can fit together with 2mm walls between components and a 2mm wall as the organizer perimeter
- cut out finger holes to make the chips easier to grab on each side
- cut out finger holes to make the cards easier to handle
I have uploaded the design to Thingiverse for anyone who would like to print their own: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:693639.
I have also setup an Etsy store for anyone without access to a 3D printer who would like to purchase one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/223848228/splendor-game-organizer.
Like this post? Leave a Bitcoin tip!
If you enjoyed reading this post you can leave a Bitcoin tip to say thanks! Each post gets its own unique Bitcoin address so by tipping you're not only making my continued efforts possible but telling me what you liked.
Awesome! Any change you will make one with a tiny bit of extra room for the 4 new noble promo tiles? 🙂
I’ve had a few folks ask for a variant that will accommodate the promo tiles, so I’ll try to update the design when I get a chance. Thanks for the feedback.
I’ve just uploaded a variant of the sleeved organizer design that now has room for the 4 new noble promo tiles as well. It can be found here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:999817