A weeks ago I spotted a /r/boardgames/ post about a foamcore minimalist organizer for the fantastic tabletop game called Splendor. I thought this was pretty awesome and was inspired to create a 3D printable variant of this design since I’m lazy and cutting/gluing foamcore sounds like work (but CAD design apparently isn’t? ::boggle::). I’m quite happy with the result, as the new box is much more compact and portable!
One thing that is not pictured is that I’m using a small box band to keep the lid in place.
A few design notes:
- The dimensions of the bottom part are 145mm x 100mm x 54mm, the dimensions of the cutout inside the cover are 146.5mm x 101.5 x 54mm. I found that a 0.75mm clearance between the bottom part and top part allowed the top part to slide on and off easily while not binding when removing the top.
- The Splendor logo in the top cover was added by downloading the Splendor logo, converting it to a binary image and then using the Shapeways 2D to 3D print tool: https://www.shapeways.com/creator/2dto3d
I also made a few changes from the foamcore model that /u/thirdspaced/ posted:
- cut out finger holes above and below the noble tiles to make them easier to handle
- reduced the size of the box to close to as small as everything can fit together with 2mm walls between components and a 2mm wall as the organizer perimeter
- cut out finger holes to make the chips easier to grab on each side
- cut out finger holes to make the cards easier to handle
I have uploaded the design to Thingiverse for anyone who would like to print their own: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:693639.
I have also setup an Etsy store for anyone without access to a 3D printer who would like to purchase one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/223848228/splendor-game-organizer.
Like this post? Leave a Bitcoin tip!
If you enjoyed reading this post you can leave a Bitcoin tip to say thanks! Each post gets its own unique Bitcoin address so by tipping you're not only making my continued efforts possible but telling me what you liked.